Riding Safety & Courtesy Training For E-Bikes In Canada
For any of you who are new to cycling or haven’t done it for a long time, our friends at HUB are offering some very good bike safety courses that might be of interest.
Cycling has gained well-founded popularity at a time when many are seeking safe transportation options and outlets to support their mental and physical health. StreetWise Cycling Online is a low-barrier educational resource that helps adult beginner riders gain the knowledge and skills needed to start their cycling journeys with confidence. It has compiled key concepts from HUB Cycling’s catalog of StreetWise courses and presents them in a straightforward and interactive manner. By hosting it on the popular education platform, Moodle, participants can learn from the safety of their own space, at their own pace, on any device with an internet browser.
Gain access to information about:
- Essential and helpful gear
- Pre-ride ABC Quick Checks
- Route planning
- Rights & responsibilities as a cyclist
- Riding on the road and navigating intersections
- other helpful resources, and more!
The course can be completed at home, at any time, from any computer or device with an internet connection. We estimate it will take you approximately 1-2hrs to complete, which can be broken up into several sessions. We also invite you to complete only those sections of interest.
BC Residents are invited to register themselves for StreetWise Cycling Online. Here’s how:
- Visit: https://education.bikehub.ca/login/signup.php? to create a new account
- Choose a username (your email address), then enter your first and last name, email address and the city or municipality you live in. We recommend using your email as a username but you can also choose another username. It can only contain alphanumeric lowercase characters (letters and numbers), underscore (_), hyphen (-), period (.) or at symbol (@).
- Check your email inbox and confirm your email address by clicking the link in the email (check your Spam/Junk folder for this confirmation email!). This will take your dashboard where you can enroll yourself in StreetWise Cycling Online.
- Complete all or parts of the course, earn badges, and a certificate. Please complete the feedback activity to help us make the course better. To access your completion certificate, you must complete all activities, including feedback.
- To log back in anytime after creating a username go to https://education.bikehub.ca/
- Get out riding and try some of the skills learned!
- Course displays best in Chrome or Safari browser on a computer or tablet.
- Your progress is tracked if you leave the course and login back in later.
- Check out our Frequently Asked Questions below.
- Still stuck? email email@example.com for help.
Those interested in enrolling a group of people or workplace can contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cycling Webinar Courses
Our 1-hour interactive webinar courses are available free of charge to the public via Zoom. They are also available to schedule specifically for your organization, workplace, or in your community. See Workplace Cycling Workshop Page or contact email@example.com to schedule a custom webinar course.
Intro to City Cycling
Intro to City Cycling is the perfect introduction to cycling best practices for people looking to gain knowledge about how to bike safely around the city. The webinar covers the rights and responsibilities of cyclists and looks at various traffic scenarios encountered in city cycling. Participants will learn how to share the road and communicate with other road users, how to take their bike on transit, types of biking gear, and how to plan a safe route.
The one-hour Intro to City Cycling webinar will be offered at the following date and time:
- Wednesday, May 12, 11 am – 12 pm. Event finished.
- Monday, May 31, 12 – 1 pm. Register Here.
- Thursday, June 24, 5 – 6 pm. Registration link coming soon!
- Monday, July 25, 4:30 – 5:30 pm. Registration link coming soon!
Intro to E-Biking
This introductory workshop is designed to provide you with useful tips for buying, riding, and caring for your e-bike. You will learn about the pros and cons of e-bikes, as well as types, classes, cost, and performance to help you choose the right one for yourself. It will also cover tips for caring for and maintaining your e-bike, along with relevant by-laws and regulations to help give you more confidence in navigating your ride.
The one-hour Intro to E-Biking webinar will be offered at the following dates and times:
- Thursday, May 20, 3 – 4 pm. Free registration here.
- Friday, June 4, 12 – 1 pm. Free registration Register Here.
- Wednesday, August 4, 11 am – 12 pm. Registration link coming soon!
Basic Bike Maintenance
This workshop is for participants who are new to maintaining their bikes or would like a refresher. In this workshop, you will develop a thorough understanding and vocabulary of the key components of your bike. We will show you how to do a basic inspection to make sure your bike is in good running order, basic tools to carry, simple adjustments and maintenance that can be done at home, and how to fix a flat. You may get the most out of this workshop by having your own bike nearby.
The one-hour Basic Bike Maintenance webinar will be offered at the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, May 25, 5:30 – 6:30 pm. Free registration here.
- Tuesday, June 15, 11 am – 12 pm. Free registration here.
- Thursday, July 8, 5 – 6 pm. Registration link coming soon!
- Thursday, August 19, 1 – 2 pm. Registration link coming soon!
Planning Your Next Bike Ride
This workshop combines research findings and practical tools and resources for planning safe and enjoyable routes for your next ride. You will learn about important factors to consider for route planning, route characteristics associated with safety, tips for riding in urban versus rural areas, and multimodal trip planning. Discover our favourite apps, route planning sites, and a list of recreational destinations and rides in the Metro Vancouver region accessible for all ages and abilities.
The one-hour Planning Your Next Bike Ridewebinar will be offered at the following dates and times:
- Wednesday, June 30, 4:30 – 5:30 pm. Free registration here.
- Tuesday, July 13, 1 – 2 pm. Registration link coming soon!
- Tuesday, August 10, 11 am – 12 pm. Registration link coming soon!
Biking with Children
Bringing children of all ages along on bike rides is an excellent way to get fresh air, exercise, and have fun together while travelling the city.
We hope to encourage and inspire you to get on your bike with your kids by providing answers and helpful tips about stages of development of kids from passengers to independent riders, road safety, route planning, cycling gear, and how to make bike riding easy, safe and fun for everyone.
The one-hour introduction to Biking with Children webinar will be offered at the following dates and time:
- Tuesday, June 8, 4:30 – 5:30 pm. Free registration here.
- Wednesday, July 21, 11 am – 12 pm. Registration link coming soon!
Fall & Winter Cycling
This webinar course covers everything you need to know about cycling in Metro Vancouver’s fall and winter riding conditions. Key topics include outfitting your bike and yourself for fall and winter riding, advanced cycling safety, cold-weather care for your bike, and route planning considerations.
The one hour Fall & Winter Cycling webinar will be offered at the following dates and time:
- Thursday, September 16, 12 am – 1 pm. Registration link coming soon!
- Tuesday, October 12. 6 pm – 7 pm. Registration link coming soon!